Thursday, November 1, 2012

How Fantastic is Facebook?

My answer is:  Pretty Fantastic!  My sister is in Afghanistan on a military base and she gets the internet and can access her Facebook account which allowed us to have a chat conversation yesterday morning when we were both supposed to be working.


Years ago I would have had to tell her how I had an abundance of stomach gas and was apprehensive about going in to a meeting in a letter.  Then I would have had to get an envelope and fill it out.  Then I'd have to find a stamp.  Then I'd have to send it and wait for her response for about two weeks.  Now, because of the miracle of Facebook, she can advise me immediately that I should try to "take care of business" before the meeting because she recently put off going until after what she thought would be a 20 minute meeting, which turned in to a 90 minute meeting, and let's just say everyone was sorry.

Of course, everything that is wonderful also has its down side.  During the very same bathroom chat I had with my sister across the globe, I happen to read a status update by a former student who is upset that Obama is going to take away his "right to bare arms."  If he has ever seen a picture of Michelle Obama and her beautiful guns, he would know that Obama is an obvious advocate of sleevelessness.  I guess I should have taught homophones a little more.


3 comments:

  1. You actually just made me feel much better. My daughter is planning on joining the marines and whenever I think of her being sent somewhere, I have this desperate feeling, like she will disappear and I'll have no communication from her.
    Thanks to your Sister for her Service!

    we should be able to bear arms only if we are capable of spelling it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful that you can stay in touch with your sister that way! Thank her for her service for us!

    ReplyDelete

I would love your comments.