Wednesday, March 18, 2020

INTERNET THROTTLING!!!!

I got up this morning and went online to watch late night comics while I drank my coffee, like I usually do, and the video I was trying to watch kept buffering. "What the hell?..." I said. Then I checked internet usage which I shouldn't even have to do since I am paying through the nose for the "unlimited data" plan, which, it turn out, is anything but unlimited. My cycle turns over on March 24. So until then I have to live with stuttering, haphazard internet. Normally, I would say, "Man, this sucks," and go on my phone and not even think about it again, but now I am stuck at home all the time. AND I am supposed to be developing online curriculum for my students. I contacted the company (Viasat/Exede) and was told that it is their policy for our particular plan to throttle after the user has used so many GBs in the month. So.... the unlimited plan is NOT unlimited. Seems like false advertising to me.

I then used the email address school leaders got that is a direct line to the Minnesota Department of Education and told them that a potential problem with the whole online school for everyone thing will be internet providers trying to gouge customers by selling them expensive unlimited data plans that aren't actually unlimited, and then telling them that if they don't want to be limited, they should buy the EXTRA unlimited Golden Super plan for more money. Many school districts on tight budgets are currently having to buy hotspots for students who don't have access to internet. If the whole thing is resting on internet companies who are trying to profit then it will not work. The state should be working on making internet a public utility.

End of rant.

Kira and I went to Home Depot to get painting supplies so she can move into Sam's old room which is about twice as big as her current room. We were very sanitary about the whole thing - hand sanitizer, lysol spray, and clorox wipes go with us everywhere now. No deep breaths. She is diligently cleaning, spackling, and sanding her new digs even as I write this. We will paint later today and she will probably be able to move in tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your comments.