I had book club last night and every time it's a book club day and it gets later and darker, I think to myself, "Oh geez, I don't want to go outside in the cold and drive and freeze my butt off, and park blah blah blah, lazy, lazy, lazy; but every month I do it and I am so glad I did because those ladies are so much fun.
Last night we talked about the book for a while (A Circus in Winter), and the general concensus was "eh." That took about ten minutes. Then we picked a new book (Undead and Unwed), and then we gabbed for about two hours on a variety of topics such as:
- when do our teenage sons start secretly looking at porn on their various electronic devices and what we should do about it and HOW GROSS IS THAT? (answers ranged from "ick, I would pretend I didn't know" to "I'd make him watch it with me and tell me if he thinks the actors' parents are proud of them."
- how some of our kids get bullied at school or are struggling with some pretty awful social situations and what we should do about it. (general concensus: take the low road and make the little fuckers hurting our little angels PAY.)
- if the show Game of Thrones is or is not about lesbians. (is not)
- don't buy boots from CheapUggs.com because apparently the little Chinese children who make them aren't very concerned about quality.
- a general inquiry into when in your life your eyebrow hairs and pubes stopped knowing that they aren't meant to grow long and luxurious, (after the first baby) and what happens when your surgeon sews your C-section scar crooked (long and luxurious pubes grow at a jaunty angle).
- what is anus bleaching, how did it get so stained anyway; and how terrible a job is that?
And my favorite quote from the whole night was
That had me laughing all night. Then we picked our next meeting place and went home. I am refreshed for another month. Then today Dana, our leader, sent out an email that summed up the night with bullet points for the ladies who didn't make it. It was so funny I stole the idea for this post. Thanks, Dana! Thanks ladies! See you next month!
"I've always considered myself low-maintenance but after today I'm beginning to wonder."