Thursday, February 17, 2011

An Idiot Abroad

When Mitch and I moved to Duluth we decided we weren't going to get cable TV anymore.  It's been 11 years and we still don't have it and I have to say, for the most part it has been a brilliant decision.  We used to find ourselves watching a lot of VH1 Behind The Music shows about people we totally didn't care about.  Our knowledge of the detailed love triangles and squares and hexagons of Fleetwood Mac is probably taking the place in our brains where we could instead know the theory of relativity or French.

I haven't even wished I had cable until last weekend.  I watched a show at my parent's house on the Science channel? I think? called An Idiot Abroad.  It was created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.  It's hilarious.  The premise is that Ricky and Stephen send their uncultured friend Karl to the seven wonders of the world because it's funny to watch him deal with culture shock and travel, and he hates it.


I saw the episode where they sent him to Jordan to see Petra.  Oh my god it was so funny!  I looked up the website and found these great photos and quotes from some of the episodes:




Check it out!

6 comments:

  1. If your new to these guys, download The Ricky Gervais Podcasts on iTunes and thank me later. It's an Idiot Abroad but a thousand times funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johnny! I will definitely do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course this is hilarious, it's Karl Pilkington. Another gem on cable is the Ricky Gervais show, which is basically Ricky, Stephen and Karl in cartoon form, talking about Karl's opinoions of every day stuff. It's genius in its simplicity. Here's an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3mqPG_fzPM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen the show, but then I don't care for Ricky Gervais. My bad, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Ricky Gervais. Love Stephen Merchant. Don't get Karl Pilkington and that "not getting" makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my sarah - I watched this show a couple of weeks ago and thought "Sarah would love this show" so i saw it advertise and thought I ahve to get on facebook and tell sarah about this adn its already a blog - way too slow on my part!

    ReplyDelete

I would love your comments.