Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ask Hobo Siren

I was looking through old posts and found this one that I forgot about and I'm re-posting it because it cracks me up.  Since this post was written, I have learned to embed video too, so BONUS, the video is at the end! Enjoy!  (Thanks again, Summer!)

I wrote in to get some advice from Hobo Siren recently.  Today she answered my question with an amazing video blog that you can see here. (or at the end) Here's a screenshot of her:


Wait, that's not the best shot.  This is better:


Like how straight her teeth are?  Anyway, my question was:
Dear Hobo Siren,

There is a woman I see occasionally because she is a substitute teacher like I am.  I have known her for years but I don't remember her name.  In my head I call her "Wet Head" because her hair is dripping wet when she comes to school in the morning.  Seriously, it's like she stuck her head in a bucket right before she walked in the doors.  Is there any way I can tactfully ask her her name after all this time without it coming across as totally insulting?

Sincerely,
Forgetful
She gave me some great advice.  First of all this:
Coming to Hobo Siren with my query was half the battle.  She had a few different options for me to solve my problem, and she reassured me that not remembering Wet Head's name is not my fault.  I can't be expected to remember the stupid name of every person I work with for five years, now can I?

No.  I can't.

Like I said, she gave me a few different methods, and was helpful enough to tell me which methods probably wouldn't work.  That's a real time-saver.


She was even kind enough to act out the scenarios I might use to tactfully find out Wet Head's actual name using real names so as to make the scenarios even more realistic.


Fool proof!  Now I don't have to hide behind doors and sneak through hallways when I see the tell-tale trail of drips indicating that Wet-Head is in the building!  I have options!*  Thanks, Hobo Siren!




*(I'm just going to call her Jessica)



(Follow up:  Wet Head got married and got a real job so I never had to learn her name.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your comments.