Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ghost Mustache


We drove up to I.Falls today for Christmas with the Lindahls. I was playing my iPod through the radio and Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield came on. I downloaded this for Kira a while ago because I want her to listen to empowering lyrics, you know, positive stuff to encourage her to be all that she can be and all that. Well, Kira doesn't understand the lyrics to Unwritten. Here's what they actually are:

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance

So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions..... blah blah blah


Kira thought the one line was: Reaching for "the gho -ost mustache"

That changes the whole song! It's no longer empowering as much as it is confusing. Then Take a Walk On the Wild Side by Lou Reed came on. She heard those lyrics loud and clear and had lots of questions. Here's the lyrics:

Candy came from out on the island
In the backroom she was everybodys darling
But she never lost her head

Even when she was given head

She says, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side

Said, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side

Thankfully, she directed her questions to Sam, who is just as clueless of the many rich and varied meanings of "head" as she is. Sam thinks it probably means that she punched someone in the head, and while she was in the fight, she didn't lose her head and get punched herself.

Sam also said that he got some gum in his stocking this morning that "is so minty it's painful." I tried some. It is. It feels like taking a straight shot of vodka and it also makes diet coke taste like silly putty. I don't recommend it, but my breath is still fresh, so maybe I should recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your comments.