Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Movie and my Sweet Baby's Birthday

Today I went to see the movie 127 hours with James Franco.  It was SO GOOD.  I was a little obsessed with the story when it happened in 2003.  If you don't know, it's about the guy who went hiking in Blue John Canyon in Utah and didn't tell anyone where he was and a rock slipped and trapped his arm against the canyon wall and he sat there with his arm pinned for more than 5 days, didn't eat hardly anything, ran out of water and eventually cut his arm off.

James Franco was very good at playing Aron Ralston except that James Franco looks like a heroin addict and Aron  Ralston is a sweet looking baby-face.  James, why are you so skinny?  Gain a little weight and get some color in your cheeks.  I thought the movie did a good job of conveying how crazy a person would go if they were trapped, cold, tired, and thirsty for five days.  When I saw a realistic portrayal of what it must actually be like to cut your own arm off with a dull one-inch knife after not eating, sleeping or drinking for five days, I changed my mind and don't think I could do it.  I would be a skeleton with her arm stuck against a canyon wall right now.  (I'd be SO SKINNY)  At the end of the movie there was a little snippet with the actual Aron Ralston and his little family and he's doing just fine!  Almost brought a tear to my eye!

After the movie I came home and decorated Sam's birthday cake because I know you're going to find it hard to believe, but yes, I am old enough to have a child who is turning 14 tomorrow, and no, it was not a teen pregnancy!  LOL! (god, I'm so pathetic)  Tomorrow we are supposed to get an ice storm, which will not be the first time we've gotten coated with ice on Sam's birthday, and then nobody can come over, and we can't go anywhere.... sigh... Sam's life has a lot of parallels with Charlie Brown's.  At least he'll have a cool cake.  Oh, and for a present, I got him a book.  Yes, that's right.  A book.  Happy Birthday, Charlie Brown!


I saw this picture on the Huffington Post yesterday.  It reminds me of when Sam was about four and was on his international tour of every gross public bathroom he could get into.  Mitch brought him into the bathroom at a restaurant and they came out and Mitch looked all flustered.  I asked what was wrong and he said, "I had to TELL HIM not to LICK the URINAL!"  Sam was compelled to lick strange things when he was small.  You could see him eye something up (usually walls) and you'd have to say, "Don't even think about it!" and then he'd stop.  Looks like the monkey father in the picture doesn't care so much if his baby licks the wall.

Hopefully my computer will be back tomorrow because it has taken me forever to write this post AND post a picture on a strange computer.  Mommy misses you, Baby Gateway! (but if you ever break again, I'm following my first instinct and starting you on fire and throwing you in the garbage)


Happy Birthday, Sam!  Have a great day and a great year being 14!

2 comments:

  1. He's a cutie. I'll bet the phone is ringing of the wall with calls from teenage girls. If it's not happening yet, brace yourself. It will very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sam! Your parents feel really old today. That should make you happy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love your comments.