Sunday, September 13, 2009

The top five inventions I couldn't live without

I had lunch with a friend the other day (Hi Dana!) and we got to talking about cool inventions we couldn't live without and how we feel so dumb and lazy for not inventing anything. (yet) I thought about it (for about five minutes) and these are my top five favorite inventions (other than, you know, polio vaccines and really important stuff like that.)

1. Caller ID - I had this back when you had to buy a special box and have the phone company hook it up. It has saved me from hundreds of phone ambushes. Hundreds!

2. Technologically advanced thin prescription eyeglass lenses. If it wasn't for this I would look like an even bigger nerd than I already do. My glasses would be so thick that it would look like I was wearing goggles that were full of water. Like this kid:


3. Diet Coke. Sweet calorie-free nectar of the gods.

4. Deodorant maxi pads. Because they keep a person from smelling like the bastard child of a butcher at the end of a double shift, and a hunk of liverwurst left out in the sun. (Hey Always, you can use that for your commercials if you want.)

5. The Google and my laptop. Because they have made me seem (and feel) so much smarter than I actually am.

There's a lot more, of course, but I limited it to five because now, internet friends, I want to know what YOUR five favorite inventions are and why. Write them in the comments! I can't wait to read them!

10 comments:

  1. I am stamping my feet at you because my diet coke addiction? Thanks to my Topamax, is kaput. Years of my sweet delicious nectar of the sweet, sweet gods, is gone.

    I am suitably in mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1: Microwave anything.
    2: Vanilla Coke Zero (I think it is better than diet coke)
    3: Lasik (Ok so I did from the time I was 16 until I was 38) but I am so glad I did it.
    4: Fox Sports North (FSN) How else can you see the Wild?
    5: Digital pics.
    6: The Internet, makes #4 so easy to share.
    Alan Wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just five, tough to narrow it down!! Ok...in no particular order..
    1. Cell phones!
    2. My iPod.
    3. The internet.
    4. Diet Dr Pepper
    5. Digital camera

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. tampons
    2. chapstick
    3. toothbrush
    4. airplanes
    5. neti pot

    p.s. this is also my list of top 5 things I would want with when stranded on an island

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.) Carmex...can't stand chapped lips!

    2.) Birth control...'nuff said.

    3.) Front wheel/all wheel/4-wheel drive...no more whippin' shitties in the city streets for me.

    4.) Caller ID and voice mail...you would screen your calls too if my MIL had your #!!

    5.) Air conditioning...can't sleep if it's too hot. I get crabby if I don't get enough sleep.

    Picking only 5 things is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Diet Coke and froze. I think I'll just say that for my number 1-5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, all you commentors! I'm having a little problem with spelling lately and my new browser doesn't automatically spell check for me. I don't care! Okay, okay, down to business:
    Aunt Becky - Power through it! Suck it up! You owe DC that much!
    Alan - I have to agree with you that the internet is the greatest invention ever! But vanilla coke? Sorry. You're wrong on that one.
    Jill - You techno geek, you!
    Kady - I have to admit that I'm afraid to use two of the items on your list. I'm not telling which two. Oh, and having an airplane on a deserted island - LOL!
    Anne - good list. I miss my all wheel drive!
    Wendi - I think DC is my top five too, but the other four of mine are actually #s 6,7,8,and 9.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well for me the first one would be Sirius Satellite Radio, lord knows in northern Minnesota the radio stations suck ass!! The second one for me in the all important "nut cup" for without that I may have not made it through high school due to Mitch's curve ball slapshots. The third thing would be the Jacuzzi, for my old bones are feeling old. Number 4 would be Photoshop, makes my artwork much nicer. Last but not least, Central Air is wonderful even though we haven't needed it much this year. I don't know how I lived without it for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara I swear you could write a great book - you are so funny!

    My top 5 -
    1. In Texas? AIR CONDITIONING.
    2. TV (I got that affliction from my dad - he is a TV-aholic)
    3. Washing Machines - can you imagine what great gramma Vernstrom had to go through to do laundry for 17 kids???? (give or take). I have a SUPER DUPER Front Loader and it is STILL not enough....
    4. CARS - I would never be able to see anyone if there were no cars!
    5. Chocolate - my savior, my knight in dark brown armor, my stress pal, my pms pal....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it was a great lunch, and I'm up for another...anytime! I would have to add Intuition razors and tampons to the list, and I want to see that one on "How Things Are Made"...don't you??? And Tater Tots.
    Tonight at the All-You-Can-Eat Seafood Buffet at the Black Bear, we decided someone needs to invent a better crab cracker. Get right on that, would ya'???

    ReplyDelete

I would love your comments.