Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Gee whiz, my sister has a blog!

My sister Amy is kind of a big shot in the U.S. Navy (well, a middle shot maybe. Or a peon. I don't really know.  She's somewhere between Gomer Pyle and General Schwarzkopf.  I think.)  Anyhoo, she is going to Afghanistan in several months, so she is starting training for the job she is going to have there.  Everyone told her to keep a journal while she is there but she is no good at journaling, but she wanted to keep a record of her experiences so she started a blog.  It's called Sailing into the Desert.  You should follow her and read all about her experiences.

I was going to put an embarrassing picture of Amy here,
but then it occurred to me that maybe it's not a good
 idea to embarrass a person who has tons of embarrassing
 pictures of me and now also has a blog.
But I was so looking forward to putting an embarrassing picture up,
so instead I am including this picture of my other sister,
Beth, who does NOT have a blog.  (Ha ha, Beth.  Bet you wish you had a blog.)

This is from when she was in basketball in eighth grade.
I mostly like that her shirt says, "It all happens here."

Oh, and nice hair.

She seems to be looking forward to this adventure, but I keep telling her that Afghanistan is a shithole.  No, I've never been there, but I'm pretty sure it's a big giant shithole.  Especially if you're a woman.  Lots of illiterate men with gross beards and guns who spend more time and effort on bombing big ancient Buddhas than they do providing food or education for their people.  Heaven (sarcasm font) Oh well, as long as she doesn't drive, show her hair, or speak before she's spoken to it should be sweet. (again with the sarcasm) 


I don't want her to go, can you tell?  Mostly because it's so far away and it's dangerous!, but also for selfish reasons: I really liked visiting her in Washington D.C. and San Diego and Monterrey, but I don't want to go to Kabul or Qandahar for sister's weekend.  That would SUCK.

So go to her blog, follow her, comment on her posts.  Do it.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME!! Her blog sounds really good. I can't wait to read it. I wish Beth would start her blog back up...that was some funny shit. She could start a feature like "Kira in the car" except it could be something like, "Sid is a brat" and she'd have millions of hilarious stories to tell. Beth, DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture. You're my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. brave woman. can't wait to hear updates. and yes, that is some amazing hair - you might have outdone me...

    ReplyDelete

I would love your comments.