Friday, February 27, 2009

We are terrible parents

Kira had an early release day at school today. She got home two hours early, so at 1:00 instead of 3:00. Was I here to greet her and give her a snack and ask her about her day? No. Was Mitch? No. We were out having lunch together. We totally forgot it was an early release day so we took off at about 12:30, had a long leisurely lunch at Erbert and Gerbert's, and then went our separate ways to run our respective errands. We got home about the same time (2:30ish) and she was here, sitting downstairs by the woodstove, watching cartoons and holding the bird; just waiting to show us how she did on her spelling test. I asked if she was worried and she said she was glad to have the place to herself for a while. But now I think she is sensing that I feel guilty so she's trying to make it worse. She just told me that she didn't get home at 1:00, she got home at noon. (she got home at 1:00) Pretty soon I am expecting to hear she never got to eat lunch, or that she felt like an orphan while she was here alone.

6 comments:

  1. Aaaawww! I'm proud of her for being calm and watching tv! Miles would freak out and call 911. j/k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time I had a computer class after school when I was in 4th grade. We were learning how to play Oregon Trail or something, I can't remember, but it was AWESOME. Anyways, all the kids filed out and then we all waited in front of the school for our parents to come and pick us up. As each kid got picked up, I kept thinking, "I hope I'm not the last one, THAT would be embarrassing." I kept thinking that she would be along any minute now and I wouldn't be the pathetic kid who got picked up last. And then pretty soon, all the kids were picked up. And then, all the lights went off in the school. And then the janitor locked the front doors, and then it started getting dark outside. A teacher finally pulled up and asked me if I needed a ride. Through my tears, I told her yes, because I figured this would be my last chance before having to sleep out in front of the school. I remember she opened the door for me and the car said, "THE. DOOR. IS. AJAR." (I thought that was pretty neat.)
    When I walked in the front door of my house, my mom nonchalantly said, "where were you?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh... how terrible! That is so funny that your mom didn't miss you. I mean, that's terrible, but also funny. "Where were you?" I'm still laughing about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I did the same thing to Sid the other day. I bet Kira LOVED having the place to herself but I bet the bird was scared shitless.(no witnesses)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to put Kira on the spare bed that was in our laundry room at our old house while I folded laundry and then when I was done folding I would go off and do something else and forget where I put her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it all. "I was glad to have the place to myself for awhile". Doesn't this all make you sympathize more when you hear on the news a sad story, and the parents were not there. And you immediately think what kinda parents are they. Well maybe they were the kinda parents that have lunch together at Erbert and Gerberts. Or the kinda parent that blames it on the child "Where were you?" I can't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love your comments.