Friday, January 8, 2010

YMCA

We got a family membership to the YMCA for Christmas. What a great gift. It never occurred to me to get a membership.

The whole family went the other night together for a few hours. Kira swam the whole time, and when I went to check on her (yeah, I can just leave her there! Isn't that great! You gotta love lifeguards.) she had made friends with a girl and they were making huge bubbles of their suits together. Sam did about 10 minutes on the treadmill and then a little on the elliptical machine, and toured the weight room and everything else with Mitch.

Today Mitch and I went back together while the kids were at school. I started things on the elliptical machine, telling myself I would do 15 minutes on that, 15 minutes on the treadmill and then swim laps the rest of the time. About one minute into the elliptical machine I had a series of small heart attacks. The reason why is because I was on a machine between two really skinny, marathoner-type men and I was unconsciously keeping pace with them. I slowed down to a reasonable pace for someone who gets sore from playing video games, and watched their form. One guy was in a sitting position the entire time so it was like he was doing one long squat forever. I looked at his time and he'd been on for almost an hour. How could he do that? I tried it and I don't think I could do it for more than a minute or two. The other guy was going super fast. I looked at his calorie burner and it was ticking off a calorie about every second. Mine was ticking off a calorie about every thirty seconds. I did manage to stay on for 15 whole minutes, and then I did the treadmill which is no prob unless you lose your balance and get shot into the windows behind you going 4.2 miles per hour. That would be embarrassing! Then I did laps in the pool and had a secret race with the woman in the lane next to me. I kicked her ass!

Now I just have to get a little more efficient about what to pack and what not to pack, and get used to the public showering thing. Other than that, I love it! Those Village People, they really knew what they were talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love your comments.